Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I made it!

Two days ago, after a 23 mile day of walking, from 8 in the morning to 7 at night, I took my last step on the AT for this trip! I arrived in Damascus, VA just as the last of the hostels were closing up for the night, and was able to secure a bunk to rest my weary feet. I'll be back in NYC on Thursday.

It's been a great 41 days of hiking. I met some of the most friendly, interesting, and diverse group of people along the way. A big shout out to my shelter pals Crabapple, Professor (a.k.a. Mailman), Bobbins, Oops, So-Close, Mountain Goat, The Riddler, Tea-Time, Rambo Ron, Shatter, Crazy Kim and his dog "Dog", Carver, Jody, Big Bear, The Sierra Club '07 Smoky Mountain trip group, Sir Packs-A-Lot, BP, Mike! and Tom! and their Father, Kun-Su, and all the others that have walked the trail this year!

Crossing my path along the way were 2 rattler snakes, garters, salamanders, snails, slugs, deer, 10 black bear, wild turkey, horses, one cow, songbirds of all kinds, five hummingbirds, eagles, two radio collared dogs, and more gnats than I care to remember.

Thanks to everyone who supported me along the way! When I return, we'll do a nice big southern style BBQ and chill in style!

The Last Leg:
7/13 - 0 miles (in Erwin, TN)
7/14 - 12 miles
7/15 - 14 miles
7/16 - 7 miles
7/17 - 12 miles
7/18 - 15 miles
7/19 - 12 miles
7/20 - 11 miles
7/21 - 17 miles
7/22 - 23 miles!

7 comments:

Grand Canyon Hiker said...

An unbelievable run there at the end Royce. Fantastic! You covered 40 miles during your last two days. I look forward to reading your thoughts and summation on the whole experience.

Anonymous said...

See you soon, Royce.
I already saw you back at home in a dream and you were really tan!

Anonymous said...

*clap clap clap*

Congratulations!!!
Can't wait to hear your nirvana experiences when you get home. NYC is a hustlin' and a bustlin'.

M

Anonymous said...

Congrats Royce. That was fast! See you when you get back...

j~

Unknown said...

Awesome! We can't wait to see you, uh, tomorrow!
We'll paint the house to look like a tree so that Bklyn won't seem so Urban...
Can't wait to share some brews, or some waffles, and see all the pics.
Lib

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the urban wilderness!
Can't wait to hear more tales and see your photos! I'm so proud of you!
xo EK

ds said...

Good work! And congrats! See you when you you get back. yes a homecoming bbq seems appropriate! - Peng