Friday, June 8, 2007

Leaving tomorrow... I mean today!

What time is it?
I've been running around non stop for the last two days getting everything in order... and I think I'm finally ready.

50 days worth of food is no easy purchase. Especially when you're carting it all back on the subway. But it's done now. All packed away neatly in 7 little boxes ready to be shipped out to me on the trail. Filled with dehydrated and dried goodness. Mmm. I wonder if I'll ever be able to eat couscous again... I bought enough of it for something like 18 dinners. All the bills are paid, I left some blank checks with M, and all the rest of life's little randomness has been sorted out... I think.

This pic was taken after my first grocery run. It's only about 2/3 of all the food I ended up buying. Hmmm. When you look at it like this, it doesn't really look like that much. Hmm... I wonder if it really IS enough...

In the past week, I had a chance to do a bit more testing on stoves and have decided that the original design is still the best. So I'm sticking with the Pepsi-G. Bought a few more loose odds and ends. A Platypus water bag here, a clip there. But with all the shaving of oz's on my pack and gear, It's still at a comfortable 20.5lbs without water, fuel or food. Not bad. I think I'll probably be weighing in at between 27-29lbs fully loaded.

It's like moving to another city... times twenty. Really, I mean, at least when you move to a new city you can buy Tylenol if you forget some. But on this trip, once I've left, that's it. There's no surviving something like "oops! I forgot to pack three meals!" or "bills? didn't I write a check for that before I left?!"

Aww, heck. I'm probably being paranoid. It's probably the drowsy lack of sleep in my brain right now. I'm not even really sure if I'm making sense. And I need to get up and catch a plane in three hours. Maybe I'll set one more alarm clock. Yeah, I can use the one here on my desk... Aaaaannd.... There! Okay. Four alarms should do the trick, right?

Well, maybe I should set my watch alarm as well. Just to be sure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Royce,

Your info leaves me reassrued of your safety to the extend that it may I may reassured. I've become so excited about this trip. Please keep in mind that "The Force is with You", under all circumstances, especially when you believe that you're all along... don't know what to do next..., and the people/entity you are under the watch for have left you... Again, remember: The Force is With You. Love, Mom

ayakoturbo said...

VON VOYAGE!!!!

Don't worry, if you don't have enough food, you can eat insects, snakes, bores... survival man! I didn't get to say good-bye formally, but have a great time! Catch you up when you return to the reality.

royce said...

Thanks!
I'll be safely wandering around eating snakes and insects, you can be sure of that!