Just pulled in to Franklin today after a cold and rainy 5 days out. My first solo hiking went off well and I met a buddy on the way! Sorry, no pics this week, there's no Sprint service in the area and that's the only way I can get the pics on to the site. Hopefully next week tho...
It's been quite a workout, and I am starting to really feel it. My feet are blistered and battered, but still rarin' to go! Hopefully tonight's rest will give them the break they need to continue on to the next town. My second night out I stopped by Plumorchard Gap Shelter and ran in to "Crabapple". Named after the teacher in Simpsons, DOH! She's solo hiking to Virginia as well, and so we walked the last three days together. Well, it's not really like we walk together, it's more like we know we'll be ending up at the same place every evening. It's good to feel like someone is keeping an eye out for you just in case you fall down a cliff or run in to a bear or something.
I think we'll continue on for a little while like this and then probably part ways. She's a fast hiker and I'll want to take it a little easier coming up. Yeah, I'm a whimp.
Most hikers on the AT end up with a "trail name" like Crabapple. The folks at the shelter last night were starting to plot on giving me one, but it was cold and rainy and we all crawled into our bags early. I have a feeling sooner or later it's gonna' happen, but I'm happy with my own name either way.
The weather's been nice during the days and sopping wet at night. My trusty little hammock shelter's been doing a fine job, but my back has been getting awfully cold, so I just bought a sleeping pad at the outfitters here in town and will see if I can rig it to work in the hammock. Hopefully this will solve the problem since the smokey mountains are coming up in 30 miles or so. Lots of 6000+ sites that will get awfully cold if it starts raining. Already I've passed two other hikers using the Hennesy Hammocks and they both love them, so pretty confident it'll work out fine.
Okay, next pit stop is in five or six days at Fontana Dam. With a little luck I'll be able to post some pics then!
Here's a rundown of mileage over the past 5 days
6/15 - 9 miles
6/17 - 10 miles
6/18 - 11 miles and crossed from GA to NC
6/19 - 14 miles
6/20 - 9 miles and in to Franklin
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
WOW 53 miles! congrats on the border crossing! You should DEFINITELY get a trail name. I'm all for it!
Good deal my friend. Keep up the good work. Don't forget to keep up the calorie intake. It will help with the motivation and the immune system.
By the way, I posted the pictures on my Blog, www.grandcanyonhiker.blogspot.com.
Good post.
Awesome, Royce!
Happy Solstice.
That means you'll have extra daylight today to walk MORE MILES!!
Stay well,
Trevor
Man, I thought I told you NOT to wear flip flops on the trail. You gotta wear boots, man! The other hikers are going to think you're a novice..
We miss you, buddy! But I'm glad to hear you're doing well and not completely alone. we're keeping an eye on the little lady for you.
Lib
Royce, the word Supertramp comes to mind! I am so envious AND proud of you! Remember Lt. Dan's advice to Forrest Gump and keep your feet dry.
Terry and I are thinking of you! Be careful!
Hi Royce! I found your blog! It looks like an amazing experience. I'll be thinking of you hiking, hiking, hiking. Don't forget to look up as well as down.
Helena found a bug in the house today and brought it outside after torturing it for 10 minutes in a yellow cup. Do you ever see any bugs out there?
Take good care!
Ann
Thanks everyone for writing in!
It's been a long five days from my last post. The Gnats are killer just south of the smokies. Mostly nippin' at my ankles when I set up camp. And Libb, I hiked in sandals for the first time today because of wet boots from a storm the day before. It was GREAT! SHoooyeAA!
Ha ha haaaaa. SUPERTRAMP!
That's a good one.
Everyone is taking good care of me here in the concrete jungle.
I love you and I miss you!
Post a Comment