Sorry, no Sprint reception again, so no pics. I may need to have M send me my card reader so I can upload directly to the site next week!
Another week, another break from the trail. The last six days have been great... and tedious. Crabapple and I are still walking together and we've developed a bit of a rhythm in our step. I usually wake first, around 6:30 and crawl out of my hammock to the chilly morning air, birds chirping, water gurgling from a stream or spring. Walk over to take down the bear bags and give Crabapples tent a little nudge to wake her up. Then pack up my gear, eat breakfast and head out on the trail. We walk separate, only meeting up at the end of the day to make sure we're both alive. Make dinner, head to the hammock read a bit, write a bit, and fall asleep.
In between there are a few little adventures. Two days ago I was walking just below a ridgeline when I heard a little yelp 15 feet to my right. I looked over and saw a black bear cub. He stared at me for a second, and scurried up a tree. Man! Those little guys can climb. Before I knew it he was a good 30' up. I pulled out my camera and snapped a few pictures. Just then Crabapple caught up to me and two more cubs scurried up a neighboring tree. Wow! Three bears in one day! By this time I was getting a bit worried. We'd been there for a good minute and there was no sight of Momma.
Not a second after the thought crossed my mind, I heard a rustling to my right along the ridgeline and saw momma's head pop up and look down at us with this concerned look like "just what are those naked monkeys up to down there so close to my babies?!" We knew better than to provoke her and hurried on our way, bear spray in hand.
I didn't have much time to fret on bear encounters, because the next day we had two rattler sightings. One 6 footer sunbathing on the trail, and another one that someone had encountered earlier and crushed it's poor head in with a rock. Some hikers can be really cruel.
I'm going to end it here, because there's a bit of a line waiting for the computer. Tomorrow I head in to the Smoky Mountains and the highest point on the AT. It should be grueling fun! Won't be back in to civilization for a good 10 day stretch. My feet are tired. Tonight's rest will be well deserved!
Miles Trekked This Week:
6/21 - 11 miles
6/22 - 11 miles
6/23 - 5.7 miles to the NOC and whitewater rafting in the afternoon! Woo!
6/24 - 6.8 miles
6/25 - 15.2 miles
6/26 - 5.5 miles in to Fontana Dam
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Wow, you got to see some bears. Good thing you knew better than to hang around for momma bear, and I'm glad you had your bear spray. You're making good miles, and your spirits seem very upbeat. I'm glad to see this.
As for me, my preparations for the Canyon are in high gear now. Leaving Sunday. Can't wait.
Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Can't wait to see your photos! Be safe and stay away from those rattler smashing hikers. - Eileen
Sounds like good rhythm!
It's hot hot hot here. The radio says a thunderstorm will be rolling in this afternoon.
I'll always remember those thunderstorms rolling in on the trail. Scary beautiful. There was something nice that they came unannounced.
M
bears!!!! cannot wait to see photos, but it's great you are posting in between! How was whitewater rafting?
Way to go Royce! Scare them bears.
You rule! We're all pulling for you and missing you back in the city. Its really exciting to read your updates, we feel like we're with you. -So keep trekkin' and keep postin'!
L
Dude...the Smokies...I got you.
Right on.
I'm about to enter "the Smokies" myself.
Gosh, reading your writing makes it feel so much like being right there in the woods... plants, birds, snakes, bugs, big animals...heat, wetness...blisters...step, step, step...next step... counting miles at the end of the day... I'm brought back to this hike I took, across Taiwan's main montain ridge, some 40 years ago. Reading your writing is not only refreshing, I am actually revitalized...realizing that I was also young once! Ha! Thanks for being in touch vividly and frequently.
Stay safe.
Love, Mom
The lawn is doing well. And I'm partying like an animal!!!
*ha* no no. no way. I just got your postcard.
I just kind of sat there with your letter and reread it a few more times. It's nice. It's up on the chalkboard next to the furry mushroom.
It was a nice weekend here in the city. I took a walk in the AM in manhattan. You were probably walking in the woods by then.
miss you
M
We miss you! Every day Violet tells me which one is your car and then tells me that Royce isn't in Brooklyn, "He's Camping!"
She's very pleased that you saw baby bears, but a baby minotar would be even better.
jjjnmmmmmmmmzzZzzzz (a note from Vilet featuring all of the letters she knows on the keyboard- you may notice they correspond wih our rain line)mmmmmuuuu1
oooooh. sorry about the typos, I'm blaming the 2 year old who was pounding the keyboard next to me. But what I meant was "train line".
oh, thanks for the postcard!
Thanks for all your posts everyone! It's good to know that my peeps care enough about me to actually read my blah blah-ing. Whitewater rafting was fun. Kind of tame, but there was a nice little waterfall we went down at the end.
Post a Comment