Monday, May 14, 2007

and so it begins

Hello everyone.
So, I'm walking the southern section of the Appalachian Trail in a little under a month. Anyone who wants to follow along with me, just stay tuned. The fun will begin June 8 when I leave for Georgia. A few years back, I walked the first 35 miles of the trail with M and Y and it was an amazing experience. In those seven days I saw things that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
Like the time we set up camp by a little stream and after it got dark, tiny yellow lights started flashing up in the trees all around us. An hour after sunset the entire forest around us was lit up with fireflies dancing in and around the leaves. It was almost like floating around with the stars.
But this trip isn't just to be awed by the nature. It's also going to be a time of contemplation. I've just put in my resignation at work. I've had a great time working as a character animator, but there's this itch in the back of my brain that needs to be nurtured. I'm not quite sure exactly what it is yet, but hopefully I'll find a little of what I'm looking for on the trail. So, In three weeks I'll be a mountain man.

In the meantime, I'll be using this space to prep. Keep notes, and to plot out my trip so it might be a little non-sensical and boring until June 8. Just a fyi warning there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow man! you are so cool! I wish that when I grow up I will be as cool as you are because you are REALLY cool. I am an animator too. I like animating and making things look like they are alive.

Anonymous said...

and so it begins. the tales of there and back again...